Autumn Medley Stew
Download Hi-Res Image »
|Makes: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|Cholesterol 22 mg|
|Sodium 200 mg|
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes (15 oz. cans approx.)
- 1 yellow onion, cut into strips
- 2-3 med. carrots, sliced into coins
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 Idaho potatoes, raw, diced
- 3 chicken half-breasts, without skin
- 2 cups water (optional – add 2 packets low sodium chicken broth)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- In a large soup kettle, simmer chicken breasts in 2 cups of water (or chicken broth). Add onion to chicken as it simmers. While it’s cooking, you can slice other vegetables. When chicken is cooked throughout, remove and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, peppers and spices to onion and broth mixture. Continue to simmer.
- Break chicken into chunks, de-bone and add to stew. Simmer 30 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are done. Add rice and simmer 10 more minutes. Makes about 8 servings.
Percent calories from: Protein, 24%; Carbohydrate, 70%; Fat, 6%.