Beacon Gratin Idaho® Potatoes2191
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 lg Idaho potatoes, about 2½ pounds, peeled
- 3 oz Grated Imported Parmesan
- 3 oz Grated Gruyere
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut 1 clove of garlic in half and rub the bottom and sides of an 8-by-8-inch casserole with the cut side. Rough chop the remaining garlic.
- In a saucepan combine the milk and cream with the bay leaf and all the garlic, bring it to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the milk mixture and set it aside
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Using a mandoline or other vegetable slicer. Slice the potatoes as thin as possible, approximately 1/16-inch thick. Layer the potatoes in the pan, sprinkling each layer with some of the cheese and adding a little of the liquid. Season every other layer with a little salt and pepper. Continue layering until all the potatoes are used, ending with a layer of cheese and pouring the remaining liquid over all. Press the finished casserole of potatoes firmly with your hands to saturate all the potatoes, cover the casserole with foil and bake for an hour. Remove the cover and continue to bake for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Serve very hot.