Chorizo Stuffed Idaho® Potato Tots with Skordalia2338
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Idaho® Russet potato
- 1 cup Aioli
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper purée
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- Lemon juice and salt, to taste
Chorizo Stuffed Idaho® Potato Tots Ingredients
- 2 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes, peel and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 ounces dried chorizo, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch smoked paprika (garnish)
- In a food processor, combine roasted garlic cloves, fresh garlic, egg, salt, mustard, and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- Combine olive oil and canola oil. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil until it becomes emulsified. The mixture should be the consistency of thin mayonnaise.
- Place in refrigerator.
- Boil the potato in its skin until tender. Once the potato is cool enough to handle (but still warm), peel it and put it through a food mill. Allow to cool completely.
- Combine the Aioli with the milled potatoes, smoked paprika and red pepper purée. Gently fold to combine. Adjust the seasoning with lemon juice and salt. Do not over mix or the potatoes will become gummy.
Chorizo Stuffed Idaho® Potato Tots
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a bowl of cold water and agitate for 10 seconds. Transfer to fine mesh strainer and drain for 5 minutes.
- Fry potatoes, stirring them with a wire spider until light golden brown and tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer a small amount of the potatoes to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until broken down into small pieces, roughly ⅛-1/4 inch. Transfer to a mixing bowl and repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Add salt, cornstarch, sugar, black pepper, and chorizo. Gently mix with your hands to combine. Form into desired shape by hand or roll out mixture and cut 1-inch cubes. (At this step they can be frozen for later use.)
- Drop Tots into deep fryer one at a time and allow to set for 30 seconds. Gently shake basket to keep tots separate. Continue to cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Season immediately with salt and light sprinkle of paprika. Serve hot with Skordalia sauce.