Deep Dish Organic-Potato Bake
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 3 pounds of organic Idaho® potatoes, peeled and shredded*
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 stick of margarine, melted (reserve 2 tablespoons)
- ½ cup of condensed cream of celery soup
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- 8 ounces of white (or regular) cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 cup of plain cornflakes
- Fill large bowl with ice, water, and two tablespoons of white-wine vinegar (which will keep potatoes from browning). Place shredded potatoes in this mixture as you peel and shred them.
- Drain shredded potatoes in colander for 10 minutes; gently squeeze excess moisture from potatoes and transfer to a dry bowl.
- Add onion, margarine, condensed soup, sour cream, cheese, salt (if needed) and pepper to the potatoes; blend ingredients by stirring.
- Spray a 96-ounce baking dish lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mixture into the baking dish and set aside.
- Place cornflakes into a sandwich bag and crush with a rolling pin or substitute. Once the cornflakes are crushed, add the remaining melted margarine and shake bag until crushed flakes are evenly coated.
- Spread cornflake topping evenly over the potato mixture.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and bake casserole for 75 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes after baking. Serve very warm.
- *A food processor was used to shred potatoes for this recipe.