Homemade Idaho® Potato Gnocchi – Bolognese
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 3 Idaho® russet potatoes, 80 count, peeled
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- additional flour for dusting the potato dough mixture
- ½ lb Diced pancetta
- 2 lb Ground veal
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1 Carrot, minced
- 1 rib Celery, minced
- 1 cup White wine
- ½ qt Heavy cream
- 2 cups Crushed tomatoes
- 1 clove Minced garlic
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Broccoli Cream Sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh cream
- ½ cup Romano cheese
- 4 grates of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Gnocchi
- Potato Gnocchi: Steam 3 potatoes, let rest, and rice the peeled potatoes when tender, in a bowl, mix with ½ cup milk, 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, I tsp salt and 1 cup flour. After a ball is formed, add 2 eggs, 1 at a time.
- Form the Gnocchi: Roll the dough into ¾ inch ropes 1 foot long. Sprinkle with flour and cut the dough into ½ inch lengths. Place on a floured parchment paper lined sheet tray and freeze.
- Cook the Gnocchi: Drop the gnocchi into boiling salted water. They are done when they just begin to float. Toss with a sauce of choice.
For the Bolognese
- Sauté the pancetta in a heavy bottomed rondeau then add the veal and the white wine.
- Add the mirepoix, tomatoes, and the heavy cream
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the volume reduce by ⅓
- Add the nutmeg and the garlic.
For the Broccoli Cream Sauce
- Sauté the garlic and add in the fresh cream, Romano cheese and nutmeg.
- Salt and pepper to taste.