Idaho® Potato and Fresh Asparagus Soup2326
Download Hi-Res Image »
Photo courtesy of Laura Kurella, LauraKurella.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small skinless and boneless, chicken breast halves, cut in cubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut in ¼-inch pieces
- 4 cups canned chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 submarine sandwich-style bun (approximately 8 inches long)
- 1 cup instant Idaho potato flakes
- 4 ounces Jarlsberg Lite Cheese, or other Swiss cheese, shredded
- In a large, heavy stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; sauté onion and garlic 3 minutes or until they begin browning. Add chicken and continue to cook, stirring 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus and broth and bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer 8 minutes. Meanwhile, slice sandwich bun crosswise into 6 slices and toast in a toaster oven or regular oven until lightly browned.
- Stir potato flakes into soup mixture and cook 2 minutes. Arrange toasts on top of soup in pot, sprinkle with cheese and replace cover, simmer another 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To serve, remove toasts and put one in each soup bowl; ladle soup into bowls around toasts.