Idaho® Potato Cakes with Grilled Shrimp
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 6 Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice (6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 4 tablespoons melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup half and half
- 2 cups crushed potato chips (6 ounces)
- ½ cup crushed cracker crumbs
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the diced potatoes, lower the heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are very soft, about 10 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, briefly saute the garlic and onion in the 2 tablespoons of butter. Put the garlic and onion, the egg, chives, chili sauce, salt, and half and half in a mixing bowl.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain quickly and briefly in a colander and add the warm potatoes immediately to the mixing bowl. Mix all the ingredients together. The potatoes will remain a bit lumpy. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the potato mixture is cool, form it into 12 loose cakes. Combine the crushed potato chips and crackers and gently toss each cake in the crumbs. Refrigerate the cakes.
- Just before serving, put the cakes on a battered baking sheet, drizzle with the melted butter, and bake for 8 minutes to reheat and crisp the outside.