Idaho® Potato Galette with Roasted Pepper & Cheese1392
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 5 Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence, or thyme
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and julienned
- 3 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup chevre, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2½ cups milk
- Slice potatoes thinly into ¼” rounds on a mandolin. Place potato rounds in a bowl and toss with minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Generously butter a 12″ round cast iron skillet or glass dish, starting on one side, place the rounds one by one, overlapping each other in a circular manner working gradually towards the center, until one complete layer of potatoes has been formed.
- In layers, sprinkle ⅓ of the dried herbs, ⅓ of the pepper strips and ⅓ of the cheeses over the potatoes. Place the second layer of potatoes on top. Repeat with layer of ⅓ dried herbs, ⅓ pepper strips and ⅓ cheese. Place the third and final layer of potatoes on top.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the egg. In a small pan, bring the milk to scalding. Pour the milk into the egg, whisking. Pour this mixture over the potatoes. The mixture should just cover the potatoes.
- In layers, place the remaining pepper strips and cheese on top. Sprinkle with the remaining dried herbs.
- Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until top is browned and bubbly. Cool slightly (10 minutes and cut into pie shaped wedges to serve.