Idaho® Potato Risotto with Black Truffles
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 2 Idaho® potatoes
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 lemon, zest
- ½ cup cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces grated parmigiano reggiano (risotto)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmigiano reggiano (parmesan tuile)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Black truffle oil to taste
- Shaved black truffles (optional)
- To prepare the lemon confit:
- Zest 1 lemon, being careful not to have any white on the zest. Beginning with cold water and a generous pinch of salt, add the zest and bring to a boil. Then strain out of the water. Repeat this process two more times. Once cool, mince the lemon zest.
- To prepare the Parmesan tuile:
- Brush 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil onto nonstick Teflon cookie sheet (on you may use a silplat). Using a 2½” ring, sprinkle a layer of Parmesan into each ring. Once the circle is covered with Parmesan, sprinkle with cracked black pepper. Place a 350 F degree oven and watch until they turn a golden brown.
- Remove them as soon as you see the bubbling begin to lessen. Remove from oven. Gently lift the tuiles off the cookie sheet (or silplat) with a spatula and place in a tulle mold. Once cooled, remove and place in airtight container.
- Peel potatoes, being careful to keep the peeled potatoes submerged in water at all times. Julienne peeled potatoes on a mandolin, being careful to keep the peeled potatoes submerged in water at all times. Cut the julienned strands of potato into ¼”. (Imitate a grain of rice.) Just before cooking, drain the potatoes of all water for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepot, cook the potatoes in the cream over medium heat. Add the lemon confit and the sprig of thyme. Cook the potatoes until they are al dente, or about 6-7 minutes, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon. Remove from the flame and add Parmesan and butter. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To plate:
- Ladle risotto into warm bowls.
- Drizzle with black truffle oil and sprinkle with shaved black truffles.
- To finish, place the Parmesan tulle vertically in the risotto.