Idaho® Potato Soup with Brie
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 1 Leek, white part only each
- 3 medium green onions each
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 medium Idaho® Potatoes, cut into ¼” cubes
- 2 cups Chanterelle or King Bolete mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 7 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup dry sherry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ loaf Baguette or French bread, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 12 oz. Brie cheese, 60% fat, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Cut the leek into halves lengthwise; keeping them separate, cut the leek and green onions into ¼-inch slices.
- Heat the butter in a heavy 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium heat until it foams; add the leek, potatoes and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the cream and return to a boil; reduce the heat.
- Blend the cornstarch and sherry in a cup. Stir into the simmering soup. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add the green onions, salt and pepper.
- Arrange bread slices 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Toast in a 300°F oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown; reduce oven temperature to 150°F.
- Arrange the cheese slices over the toasted bread, covering the surface completely.
- Preheat 8 soup cups in the oven; remove from the oven and set the oven to broil. Ladle the soup into the cups and place 1 cheese crouton on each.
- Broil 6 inches from the heat source for 30-45 seconds or just until the cheese melts and is light golden brown.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve immediately.