Idaho® Potatoes with Garlic
Download Hi-Res Image »
Be sure to dry the potatoes in the oven as described in the recipe as it is crucial to their success. Perfect served with beef or chicken, they’re a nice change from the classic mashed potatoes.
- 1½ lbs Idaho® Russet Burbank potatoes, peeled
- 1 head fresh garlic
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain potatoes and dry them out in a 350ºF oven for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, peel all the cloves from the head of garlic and, in a small saucepan, simmer them with the cram or half-and-half, milk and butter. When the garlic is very tender, set the mixture aside.
- Puree the potatoes and the garlic mixture through a medium disk of a food mill or mash with a potato ricer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If necessary, thin with more milk. Keep warm until serving.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Just before serving, stir in snipped chives and cream fraiche if desired.