Jamie’s Crab Hash1156
Download Hi-Res Image »
- ⅓ cups + 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- white pepper freshly ground
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ lb unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 3 Idaho potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ½ lb jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 large eggs, poached
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Reduce ⅓ cup water, juice, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper to 2 tablespoons. In nonreactive saucepan; remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Whisk egg yolks into the reduction; set over low heat; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture turns into thick, yellow foam; removing from heat.
- Dribble melted butter into egg mixture, whisking constantly; add remaining 2 tablespoons water before all the butter is incorporated, whisking constantly.
- Strain through fine chinois; place in Bain Marie; reserve (keep warm).
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; add onion, pepper, potatoes, cayenne and cumin; cook until tender; remove from heat; add crabmeat; season; mix well; reserve.
- To serve, mound hash on each plate; top each mound with 2 poached eggs; drizzle hollandaise sauce over and around; sprinkle with parsley.
- Chef’s Note: A green vegetable can accompany this dish