Download Hi-Res Image »
- 16 pounds potatoes
- 8 each egg yolks
- 2 pounds grated cheddar cheese
- 3 cups green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste
- 80 ounces prepared Choux Paste (see recipe below)
- 16 ounces water
- 8 ounces butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 ounces bread flour
- 4 to 6 eggs
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into large pieces and boil until tender.
- Drain and dry the potatoes in a warm oven (150°F), until no more steam rises from them.
- Mash through a food mill or ricer. Fold in the cheese, seasonings and green onions, mix well. Add the egg yolks, mix well.
- Prepare the Choux paste:
- Combine the water, butter, salt, and sugar, bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the flour all at once, stirring constantly until the mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer, and using the paddle attachment on high speed, beat in the eggs two at a time.
- Incorporate the eggs fully and scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- When the dough is a medium stiff paste and has a shiny appearance; stop adding eggs.
- Fold 80 oz. of the choux paste into the potato mixture, mix well.
- Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with no tip.
- Pipe the mixture onto 6″ patty paper squares in circular ring shapes to resemble donuts.
- Fry in the donut fryer at 375°. Drain on absorbent towels, serve.