Mashed Idaho® Potatoes with Sweet Balsamic Onion Topper
Download Hi-Res Image »
Yield: 6 (3/4 cup potatoes; 2 – 3 tablespoons onion topping per serving)
Share this Recipe
|Makes: 6 (3/4 cup potatoes; 2 – 3 tablespoons onion topping per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|Cholesterol 30 mg|
|Sodium 340 mg|
|Protein 6 g|
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese, optional
- 4 cups leftover mashed Idaho® potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Cook the onions and sugar 10 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, combine the potatoes and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook 4-5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, place in serving bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Add the water and vinegar to the browned onions, cook 30 seconds or until thickened slightly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and spoon over mashed potatoes. Salt and black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese, if desired.