Mr. Food’s Best Loaded Mashed Potatoes Ever
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 2-1/2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 16-ounce container of sour cream
- 1 cup finely shredded Colby or sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup real bacon bits
- 1 thinly sliced scallion
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Quarter a small onion and add it to the pot along with 10 peeled, whole garlic cloves before bringing the potatoes to a boil; beat with the remaining ingredients.
- Cheddar Potato Casserole: Beat 1 finely chopped onion along with the other ingredients. Coat a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into casserole dish and sprinkle with 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese; pour 1-1/2 cups heavy cream over the top. Bake in a preheated 350°F. oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until heated through and edges are golden.
- Green Mashed Potatoes: Prepare the mashed potatoes as above then add two 10-ounce packages of frozen chopped spinach that have been thawed, drained and squeezed dry. Beat as directed above.
- Place potato chunks in a large soup pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender; drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until blended and smooth. Top warm potatoes with sprinkling of shredded cheese and scallion slices.
- Serve immediately.