Our Favorite Marzipan
Download Hi-Res Image »
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- ¼ cup prepared Instant Mashed Idaho Potatoes
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- food coloring
- whole cloves
- In a blender of food processor grind almonds to powder. Combine almonds, mashed potatoes and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Mix together egg white and almond extract. Add egg white mixture one teaspoon at a time to potato mixture, just until dough is very pliable. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- If dough is sticky, dust hands and surface with cornstarch before shaping.
- Mold marzipan into tiny fruits or vegetables. Shapes can be painted with food coloring*, rolled in a cocoa-powdered sugar mixture or dipped in melted chocolate. Try using whole cloves for stems and tiny pieces of marzipan for leaves. Dry shapes on rack before storing in airtight container. Candies can be eaten or used over and over again for decorations.
- *Before painting let shapes air dry for about 2 hours.