Smashed Idaho® Potatoes1102
Download Hi-Res Image »
|Makes: 9 -10 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|Cholesterol 2 mg|
|Sodium 48 mg|
|Protein 4 g|
- 2½ pounds Idaho Potatoes, well scrubbed
- ½ pound parsnips
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 cup warmed low-fat milk (Note: for richer smashed potatoes, substitute light or heavy cream)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs for garnish
- Optional: 1 cup cooked, chopped spinach
- Cut potatoes in four lengthwise and in four crosswise. Peel the parsnips and core (if necessary). Dice parsnips.
- Add potatoes, parsnips, garlic and salt to large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, covered, or until just tender to a fork.
- Drain the potatoes, parsnips and garlic in a colander then return them to the pot. Over medium low heat, hold the pot with oven mitts and shake roughly, while on the heat for 2 minutes to dry the potatoes.
- Off the heat, mash with a potato masher, gradually adding warm milk. Keep smashing until mixture is at an even consistency. Add spinach if desired. Adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) to taste.
- *Garnish with herbs if desired (chopped parsley, oregano, thyme, chives, green onions) and serve with non-fat sour cream.
- Boil ½ lb. peeled, cored, diced parsnips with 6 peeled cloves of garlic 8 minutes or until tender – purée in food processor.
- Prepare dehydrated Idaho Potato flakes to serve 10 and add in parsnips and garlic.
- Adjust seasoning and garnish as desired.