Smokey Onion Idaho® Potato Waffles
Download Hi-Res Image »
For Pate a Choux
- 6 oz water
- 3 oz oil
- 4 oz flour, bread
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 oz eggs, whole
- 2.5 oz egg whites
- 16 oz Idaho potatoes, grated
- 4 oz Spanish onions, ¼ in slices
- 6 oz buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 2 oz sugar, granulated
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
To Make Pate a Choux
- Combine water and oil in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the flour and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture forms a ball that does not stick to the side of the pot.
- Remove from heat and add the mixture to a mixing bowl, use paddle attachment on low speed to cool the mixture. Once cool add the eggs and egg whites gradually making sure that each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Once fully mixed, remove and store in refrigerator.
- Soak onions in buttermilk for 1 hour. Smoke for 1 hour. Reserve and cool. Once the onion is cool, mince. (If a smoker is not available saute the minced onion in butter until caramelized and deglaze the pan with 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke)
- Cook Idaho potatoes whole skin on in boiling salted water. Remove and grate when cool.
- Combine the potato, pate a choux, smoked onions, chives, sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix until combined.
- Cook in a waffle iron for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve as a side item to any favorite steak.