Southwest Corn and Idaho® Potato Cakes
Download Hi-Res Image »
|Makes: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|Cholesterol 17 mg|
|Protein 8 g|
Leftover mashed potatoes are easily reinvented as zesty potato pancakes studded with corn and multi-colored peppers. Skip the butter and skillet, these are baked, not fried, yet they still brown nicely.
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups leftover mashed Idaho® potatoes (homemade works best)
- ½ cup corn kernels (if frozen, thaw first, then squeeze out excess water)
- ⅓ cup frozen, diced red and green sweet peppers (thaw, then squeeze out excess water)
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup shredded taco cheese (cheese blend with added seasonings)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced, dried onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- Optional garnish: ¼ cup shredded taco cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with a liberal amount of cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well with a fork or wooden spoon, being sure to thoroughly break up the mashed potatoes.
- Spray a ⅓-cup measuring cup with cooking spray. Using the cup, scoop up the potato mixture and level it off with your clean hand. Invert the filled cup over the prepared baking sheet to release the potato mixture.
- Continue to scoop, making 8 portions (you may need to re-spray the cup once or twice to help release the potato mixture). Gently press the portions with your palm to form pancakes about ¾-inch thick. Spray the tops of the pancakes lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Using a metal spatula, flip the pancakes and bake another 15 minutes. Transfer pancakes to a serving platter using the spatula, then sprinkle them with additional taco cheese, if desired. Serve hot.
Estimated Cost per Serving*: 1.25 * The Estimated Cost per Serving is a calculated estimate based on a national food average and assumes the preparer already has ingredients like salt, pepper, cooking oils, assorted spices/condiments and other traditional staples readily available in the home kitchen.