Download Hi-Res Image »
|Makes: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|Cholesterol 115 mg|
|Sodium 400 mg|
|Protein 13 g|
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Red bell peppers are not only pretty and sweet but also very nutritious and a great source of vitamin C. If you like, boil the potatoes for the scramble the night before. To make prep even easier, chop the onions and bell peppers and wrap them separately. You’ll be ready to start your breakfast, and your day.
- 2 small red- or white-skinned Idaho Potatoes, cut into ½? cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup extra-lean ham, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan. Add cold water to barely cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover, and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until tender and lightly golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in the ham and potatoes and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, black pepper, and salt until well blended.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning often with a heatproof spatula, until just set, about 2 minutes.