Spiral Idaho® Potato Salad
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1 (2-inch-wide) strip, soaked in salted water for 24 hours
- olive oil for grilling
- 1 cup Japanese yam ribbons, soaked in salted water for 24 hours
- as needed canola oil for deep-frying
- 2 cups Idaho® Russet potato ribbons, soaked in salted water for 24 hours
- 2 cups Idaho® Yukon Gold potato ribbons, soaked in salted water for 24 hours
- 2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
- ¼ cup kale ribbons
- ¼ cup watercress leaves
- ¼ cup arugula ribbons
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sour cream or vegan sour cream
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup julienned yuba (tofu skin)
- ¼ cup dehydrated apple ribbons
- Rinse the sweet potato strip. Rub both sides with olive oil and grill over high heat on both sides, making crosshatches as you go. Set aside.
- Rinse Japanese yams and deep-fry in canola oil until crispy. Set aside.
- Rinse Russet and Yukon Gold potato ribbons. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together olives, greens, scallions and sour cream. Salt to taste.
- Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a medium nonstick pan on high until you can see ripples in the oil. Add Russet and Yukon Gold potato ribbons and quickly move the pan, tossing and stirring them. Add vinegar and then yuba and apple ribbons.
- Stir continuously for about 1 minute. The potatoes should only get par-cooked. You still want them to have some crunch.
- Remove pan from heat and add hot mixture to bowl with greens. Mix until incorporated. Salt to taste.
- Cut the strip of grilled sweet potato into 4 equal pieces and lay a piece on each of 4 plates. Top with salad mixture and top everything with crispy Japanese yam.