Spiral Cut Idaho® Potato French Fries with Smoked Tomato Paprika Aioli
- French Fries
- 10 Idaho® potatoes, 120 count
- 2 oz heavy cream
- 6 oz gouda cheese, aged 3 years, finely grated
- 1 1/ 2 oz butter, unsalted
- 20 sheets rice paper, extra thin
- 1 gal canola oil
- Smoked Tomato Paprika Aíoli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup pomace olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- To taste lemon juice
- Water, if needed to thin
- Place 5 potatoes in a 350°F oven for about one hour or until cooked through. As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to touch, peel and rice.
- Heat the heavy cream until hot. Add the hot cream to the hot rice potatoes and fold in the aged Gouda cheese, butter and salt.
- Press the potato mixture out on an 8-inch x 10 1/2-inch sheet tray lined with plastic wrap. Chill the potato mixture very well.
- Cut the potatoes into 40 4-inch x 1/2-inch strips. Wrap each piece of potato with a thin layer of rice paper and freeze.
- Spin the remaining 5 potatoes on a Japanese vegetable spinner. Wrap each potato stick with a strain of potato forming a complete cylinder around each stick. Refreeze each stick until all 40 are finished.
- Once all the French fries are formed, heat the canola oil to 350°F. Fry the French fries until golden brown and crispy, season with salt and serve immediately with the Smoked Tomato Paprika Aíoli.
Smoked Tomato Paprika Aíoli
- Smash the 2 garlic cloves with the back of a knife and place in a very small pan. Add 2 tablespoons of the Pomace olive oil and cook over moderate heat for about 2 minutes until the garlic starts to release its flavor into the oil. At this point add the smoked paprika and cook for another minute. Pull off the heat and cool completely.
- After the garlic mixture has cooled place it in a food processor with the Dijon mustard, egg yolk, salt and 1 tablespoon of Pomace olive oil. Turn the food processor on and slowly drizzle the remaining Pomace olive oil into the mixture. Once all the Pomace olive oil has been incorporated, drizzle in the extra virgin oil. After all the oil has been incorporated, check the seasoning and add more salt, cayenne and lemon juice to taste. If the aíoli is too thick, it can be thinned with a pinch of water.
Yield: 6 servings