- 2 cups mashed Idaho® potatoes, hot
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- fried chow mein noodles
- 2 olives or capers to decorate
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Mix together the mashed Idaho® potatoes, eggs, butter and 2 tablespoons flour.
- Set aside and let cool.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir with a wooden spoon to break up the meat.
- Add the tomato sauce, garlic, oregano and salt to the cooked ground beef. Mix thoroughly.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Spread a spoonful of the potato dough mix in the palm of your hand. Make an indentation in the middle and stuff it with one tablespoon of the meat mixture.
- Cover the filling with more potato dough and shape into a ball.
- Add the breadcrumbs to a large dish.
- Dust the ball lightly with the remaining flour and roll in the breadcrumbs, until evenly coated.
- Place the balls on a large baking sheet.
- Repeat until mix is used up.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter.
- Brush all the stuffed potato balls with butter.
- Bake for approximately 20 - 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Slice the olives into tiny squares or rectangles for the eyes.
- Carefully add the chow mein noodles as legs.
- Add the tiny olive pieces or capers as eyes.
Time Saving Tip: Substitute Idahoan® Original Mashed Potatoes for fresh potatoes. Follow package directions to make 2 cups of potatoes and proceed with recipe.